32. Layers, doors and trim, oh, my!

The door design came together by adding a 1/2 inch thick frame around the exterior of the door – but not the hinge side, to keep the parts even. A seal will be attached to the frame and also a seal will be placed between the door and its cutout. This will give a channel  through which any loose moisture might drain. That’s the plan, anyway

image

I primed the cabin with my old friend KILZ  and then after putting the second door frame together, painted with my house paint.

image

image

image

The doors worked as planned  but they will be removed to paint the hinge.  Exterior hardware is black  .
image

I needed to secure the hatch but was at a loss until I watched a cute YouTube that used snap hasps to keep the back snug while in transit.  I finally found a pair at the hardware store.  I could NOT screw the hook onto the edge of the hatch, it being only 1/8″ think so I added a little triangle of wood to which I could easily screw the mechanism without damaging the thin ply.

image

Yes, it’s all wrinkly, but I don’t really care.  It’ll be cozy inside.

Advertisements

31. More paint and doors

imageStarting to look a bit more presentable, the exterior took a good sanding and then another coat of mixed paint. While that dried I turned my attention to the doors, specifically cutting out and fitting the windows.

These nice windows came with no installation instructions. 😦   I did my best with jigsaw blade and router bit. They now look great but it was not without great effort on my brain’s part.

30. Paint and trim

The thinner cloth covering looks less atrocious than did the heavy dropcloth. The street side looks less bubbly than the other. The top, front and hatch are quite nice. Have no idea why. The cloth was quite stiff and I could easily trim the extra with a utility knife  image

 

I put a 1st coat of leftover housepaint on. I used 4 different colors and it looks hilarious, pastel and green camo.

Enough.

28. Re-do

This is what happens when things dont go right.

image

The glued up heavy cloth ended up bubbling and lifting away from the walls. There was no fixing it so I gave it a pull, or 5, and off it came. I’ll re-use it somehow.

So I went in search of sheets. It took 3 quick stops at motels to get a large, well-used cotton sheet for free. It was 8×7′ so I got both sides covered. Clearance shelves at a discount store always have sheets and I got a nice cotton  set at 1/3rd the regular price. (:

This time I soaked the sheet with the glue/water mix and placed it carefully, smoothed it with my gloved hand, then rolled it tight with a sponge roller. It looked nice.

The first side I did solo; Holly helped on the second cutting the time it took by well over half.

image

image

At bedtime it still looked pretty good.

 

27. Covering

First order of business was finishing the electrical connections to the tongue box.

Then I cut and prepped the front skin to cover all the electrical.  It was glued and pinned with the airnailer.

I was at a loss as to how to procede with the canvas coating. There are just no instructions for what I was doing.  So this is what Ive tried:

1. Paint the wood with 1/1 water and Titebond.

2. Pin the cloth on the side and roll more of the 1/1 stuff on, pushing it through to touch the wood.

3. Go back over it and reglue some parts

This method gave only fair results  not all of the cloth was stuck down.

The other side I treated differently. Same step 1, but to get more 1/1 into and through the cloth, I put the watery glue in a bucket and dumped the cloth into it squishing and absorbing almost all of the wet.

I then proceeded as before, smoothing and tugging intil the cloth was tight.

I’ll give it a 24 dry before messing with it.

26. Little stuff matters

Started the day with removing the clamps on the front skin that had loosened. Use good wood beams; a crummy corner will not work, especially at a joint. I added a support piece, screwed in.

Next came replacing temporary battery leads with 6 ga. cables. Probably overkill but it won’t hurt. I slid them through the blue looms, entering the tongue box through two rather protected holes. The cable ends fit nicely and attach quickly to the battery.

imageimage

I covered a ceiling seam with some simple trim. Oops forgot to finish it first.

image

image

Spent some thinking time with the galley shelves and how the hatch will fit. With that decided, I was ready to use the router to neatly trim the cabin edges.

image

Im ready for the cloth covering!